Author Archives: Dana
Author Archives: Dana
If you’re planning a bachelorette/hens party, and want it classy without the tacky cliché’s we normally associate with them, here’s a few do’s and don’ts to help you out.
1. Have a classy costume/dress up theme. Setting a theme that is traditionally classy is bound to get everyone looking the part for the party. Themes like 1950’s, Mad Men and 1920’s Great Gatsby style are all elegant styles of dress and most girls love to step back in time with these costumes.
2. Host the party at a fabulous private location. If the budget permits, hire out a swanky hotel, or if one of the bridal party has a great house for the party, host it there. Private locations can be so much more fun because you have full control over the decorations, drinks and the people around you.
3. Pick a beautiful theme for the decorations. Particularly if you’re hosting the party at a hotel or home, this is a great chance to pick a gorgeous theme and get some beautiful decorations to go with it. Not just basic, off-the-rack stuff, but decorations you make at home can really add a nice touch. Look at paper decorations you like and then use fabric monogrammed with initials or a saying to really class it up. When picking a theme, the easiest place to start is with what the bride likes. Some ideas for the bachelorette party theme:
-Burlesque (keep the costumes classy!)
-A night at the Oscars
-Alice in Wonderland
-Just pick a colour. Some popular colour themes for bachelorette parties are pink and black, tiffany blue, all white, gold glitter and glitz.
4. Have some good champas! Nothing says class like a bottle of good champas to share among the guests.
5. Host a high tea. Have a brunch are afternoon high tea – ladylike dresses are a must.
6. Have beautiful finger food. Pretty finger food like cupcakes, cake pops and mini sandwiches can add just as much to the beautiful look of a room as the decorations do. They’re just so much more fun to eat too!
7. Hire a yacht. Again if the budget permits, what a fabulous party it would be on a yacht!
8. Male eye candy. If you want some male eyecandy, instead of a stripper, hire a cute shirtless waiter.
Here’s to a fabulous bachelorette party!
While it is alot of fun, a bachelorette party doesn’t have to just be drinking, dancing and strippers. Here’s four unique ideas for a party that is sure to keep everyone entertained no matter what your tastes.
1. Take a group dance class – you could do a pole dancing class, burlesque, salsa etc. Lots of places offer these classes especially for bachelorette/hens parties. They make it lots of fun, easy for everyone to participate, and generally fit it into a couple of hours. You’re then left with the night/afternoon to drink, dance, chat…
2. Do a DIY – Another great way to start off an afternoon/night is to do a DIY party. They range from making a fascinator, painting pottery, sewing etc. These are a great ice breaker if there’s lots of guests who don’t already know each other. Everyone is kept busy but can chat about what they’re doing together.
3. Have a fabulous cocktail party at home – You don’t have to go out to drink and have a great time. Why not host a classy cocktail party at home. On the invitations, ask each guest to bring a specific bottle of alcohol. Then you can have a menu of cocktails at the party and it’s fun for everyone to have a go at mixing the cocktails. Set the dress code to cocktail to give everyone a great excuse to put on a fab frock.
4. A girls pamper night in – Kind of like when you’re a teenager and everyone just gets together to talk girly stuff, do nails etc. but grown up. Have some girly party food including cupcakes, champagne and cute finger food. Do manis/pedis, facials, possibly even have a professional masseuse come in for an hour or so.
I’ve seen lots of images of the cupcake wedding dress floating around, this is such a gorgeous idea for the bridal shower! It’s relatively easy to make, looks creative, and is a great centrepiece for the shower. Basically you just need the cupcakes iced with a simple rose/swirl design, then arrange them in the shape of a wedding dress. Here’s some gorgeous pictures for your inspiration, and a more detailed how to at the bottom of this post.
It’s wonderful to prepare what you are going to say in advance, so that come toast time at the wedding, your speech rolls of the tongue as if you’re just speaking naturally. If you’re already a great public speaker, awesome! You may just need to come up with some points of what you are going to talk about, and it will come out effortlessly. However, for most of us, speaking in front of a large audience isn’t always that easy, and preparing it can be even more difficult.
With the right preparation though, you can be that relaxed, engaging, confident speaker and deliver a great speech that everyone at the wedding will be happy to listen to, and that the bride will just adore!
To get you started, here are the basics to start thinking about – this should be a great starting point to jot down some ideas for your speech. This is the first of our tips in this series of posts dedicated to giving a great maid of honor toast.
Be yourself when writing and delivering your speech. If you’re normally a funny person that cracks a few jokes here and there, then include one in the opening of your speech. If you’re more of a sweet, to the point person, then write and deliver your speech this way. Don’t feel like you have to try to make it funny or this or that because that’s what most people do, it will just come across as unnatural – remember the saying “Be yourself, everyone else is already taken”.
If you want to get your amazing speech written and out of the way ASAP, we highly recommend this e-book written by a pro in the speech industry. There’s 25 written examples for you to be inspired by or take bits from + everything else you need to nail your Maid of Honor speech today.
Need some examples of great maid of honor speeches? Check out these videos below. We’ve trawled Youtube to find samples of the best speeches given at real weddings. They range from the funny, to the thoughtful, to the extremely creative song as a speech. Be inspired!
The first is a lovely creative, and thoughtful speech which is not too long but covers all the important parts while still being entertaining and unique. It really pulls together so well at the end with the lotto ticket. Imagine if the bride and groom actually won something on this, how special! Even if they don’t it’s a unique keepsake of their wedding.
This is a great example of a funny maid of honor speech. It’s quite long, but sounds like all of the guests are really enjoying it. This girl just seems naturally funny and entertaining. We’d say keep it under 5 minutes though.
Now this one is very creative, perhaps not something many of us could pull off, but it is very entertaining! What an awesome sister to write a song for the toast!
More examples are coming soon, including written samples and lots more videos. There are so many of them around.
For 25, time tested amazing MOH wedding speeches all written out, check this out. You’ll be well on your way to having THE speech that you’ll enjoy giving, and that the bride and other guests will love listening to.